Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Unbelievably Impressed

I will admit, I was a bit nervous, or skeptical even, when I decided to push forward with potty training and go straight to "big boy" underwear, but to my surprise the whole process has gone great... for the first week at least.  Of course Graham is not perfect and potty training doesn't happen over night, so we still have accidents and are working on the complete concept of going "poopers" IN the potty, but over all I have been delightfully surprised by how well Graham is actually taking all of this change. 


Maybe I set my expectations really low in hopes not to disappoint myself right off the bat, but I imagined load after load of laundry and tons of accidents in public and that has just not been the case.  I'd even dare to say that Graham does better in public than at home.  He made it through a restaurant dinner, and hour and a half at the gym yesterday and today through 2.5 hours at MOPS all without an accident.  I'd say that's pretty impressive for the first week, OK I'd even stretch to say it might be a small victory, for me anyway. 

Now back to reality... I am still trying to keep a level head about this because I realize that the "newness" of wearing big boy underwear will soon wear off and it will no longer be fun to read the potty book 8 million times, but I am still hoping for the best!  Setting realistic expectations, remembering my patients and above all reward, reward, reward, those are the goals, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment