Monday, February 15, 2010

Sticky Situation on Valentine's

For Valentine's this year Tim and I were offered a wonderful gift, a night of babysitting courtesy of my MOPS group.  Yeah!  We were so excited, so we made dinner reservations at The Chef's Table downtown, which we had heard was fabulous and had wanted to try, and the date was set. 

Tim got me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, my favorite kinds, roses and star-gazer lilies... it had the makings to be the perfect, romantic Valentine's evening.  We got all dressed up, dropped Graham off at Grace Community Church and without even a tear he said "bye mommy" and was off like a lightning bolt to dive on the bean bags and play. 

We were able to find a parking spot within 2 blocks of Chef's, which is somewhat amazing, and then the date began...  Our waitress offered Tim and I their Valentine's drink special, some concoction of strawberries and champagne and we took the bait.  So she brings the drinks over and before setting even one down, she dumps the whole tray of drinks on the table and ALL down the front of me. 

Now I am not that guy who yells at a server for spilled drinks because accidents happen and I know I am not perfect... but I am thinking great, the one night I actually get to go to dinner without Graham and I still have crap spilled all over me.  I calmly started trying to dry myself off, but I was just drenched and freezing and sticky from my neck to my knees... nice!  Of course everyone is looking because it's a small place and this is quite the ordeal.  The waitress just looks at me and says, "oh, I'm really sorry, we'll be sure to get you some free drinks!"  Like I really wanted free drinks, maybe a free meal, but I think I was pretty set on my fill of beverage for the evening thank you.  And to top it off, our waitress must have been embarrassed or gave up on her tip from us because she ignored us the whole evening.  It ended up taking us 2.5 hours to eat dinner and we ordered our appetizer and dessert from other waiters.  Not impressed!  If the food wouldn't have been so extremely delicious, I think Tim and I would have refused to pay.  So my picture perfect Valentine's Day didn't turn out exactly like I'd planned, but the food was awesome and at least Graham had a blast with the MOPS kids  :)  We ended up exhausted after the 2.5 hours eating, and our one free drink of course, so we ended our super romantic evening by going to bed at 9:30 and falling asleep while watching the Olympics.  Maybe next year...

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that is nuts! Sorry for the not so perfect night out. I'd feel the same way you did for sure. Hopefully, next date night will turn out better.

    ReplyDelete