Saturday, February 20, 2010

Going "Cold Turkey"

No, I am not quitting smoking.... isn't that the most common use for cold turkey?  As I have never smoked, that is one less battle I will ever have to fight, thank goodness.  I am, however, going cold turkey on a few other things in honor of Lent.  I grew up Catholic and we always had to give some things up for Lent.  While I no longer believe in all that Catholicism teaches, I do think there are some great traditions in the religion that I would like to keep going.  For instance, I love celebrating St. Nick at Christmas time and I loved watching the stations of the cross and getting palm leaves on Palm Sunday.  Anyway, back to the point, our family is giving things up for Lent and I have chosen 3 things this year...

First, I am giving up alcohol.  Now granted this is no major feat for me since I consume about 1-3 glasses a wine per week on a really rough week.  But all the same, I'm going dry.  I figured since, with some miracle from God Himself of course, we might actually get pregnant before lent ends that giving up my occasional glass of wine is probably a good choice anyway.  This does, however, mean that I have no real way to escape from those super awful toddlers days, so beware, calling me at night may not be advised  :)

Next is dessert, and if you know me you know I would trade dessert for all other meals.  I love me some chocolate cake, cheese cake, apple pie, apple crisp, ice cream or pretty much anything that could be sweet and not too healthy.  I'm not a junk food addict, but man do I love my desserts.  So for 6 weeks I will be dessert free. 





Lastly, and this is a biggy, I am going to try to give up diapers... well daytime diapers anyway.  I know this means that Graham is technically giving them up, but I'm pretty sure I am going to have to do the majority of the work, so I still think it counts.  Graham is so there, he's so ready to be potty trained and he just uses his pull-ups as a crutch allowing him to be lazy.  So, I am going back to how my mom and your mom and everyone else was potty trained and using good, old-fashioned padded underwear.  I know I am in for some major accidents and a lot, a lot of laundry, but I honestly think it is going to speed this whole process along.  And we all know, the faster potty training goes, the happier everyone is.

So here's to drooling over dessert menus, longing for a glass of wine and loads of laundry... I'm going cold turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment