Friday, June 18, 2010

"I take it you're not a golfer-" The Dude (Big Lebowski)

This summer Tim and I scored an amazing deal on a 2 year membership to a Country Club in Cedar Rapids.  My parents have been members of the Club for years and in hopes to gain new/ younger members the Club offered a super special discount to Junior Members, which Tim jumped at full force  :) 

Having said this, I decided it was time to dust off the old clubs, and by dust off I mean I had to find them, dump the 10 years worth of spiders and crap out of my bag and get them cleaned up.  For Mother's Day my son and loving husband bought me a new, fancy golf bag and some new golf shoes.  So I had all the equipment and looked like a pro, my only fear was that my skill level hadn't changed since that last time I had used the clubs.  But, I took a few lessons and to my surprise I actually didn't suck... as badly as I had when I played in high school anyway.  So my mom bit the bullet and signed ourselves up for Ladies League on Thursday mornings.

To set the stage, there are about 30 women, age 50+, all who have been playing in Ladies League since the 80's, just a little intimidating.  But come to find out, they all play 18 holes so we were safe because let's face it, I am not a millionaire and I can not afford to pay a sitter for 4+ hours of golf plus lunch and the drive to and from Cedar Rapids.  I'd be broke after one week  :)  So my mom and I play nine holes and have lunch and we have a blast.  Each week is a different format, last week only puts counted, this week was best shot, next week is flag events I think, so each hole has a different event like closest to the pin etc.  We certainly are not pro circuit material, but between my mom and I, we shot a 45 on nine holes.  I think we should just play together every time and just turn in the exact same score, but I suppose that would technically be cheating. 

At least I have renewed my interest in the game of golf.  As an adult, I can now see how people play over and over and over again to try to improve their game.  I'm not sure I'm quite that interested, but I can at least see where they might be coming from  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment