Friday, April 9, 2010

It's Official, I'm Legal

Over the last few months I have been noticing a slightly sad trend... no one ever asks to see my ID when I purchase alcohol anymore.  I know I should be thankful that I no longer have to worry about having an ID with me 24/7 in case I happen to buy wine at the grocery store or a beverage with dinner, but let's be realistic, if I have my wallet to pay for the alcohol, chances are I have my ID too.  So does this mean I no longer look 21?  I thought the general rule was that you had to card anyone who looks younger than 35... yikes, does this mean I look older than 35?       

In fear that I truly look "old" I went on a scavenger hunt this morning to find a picture of me at 21.    



[caption id="attachment_230" align="alignleft" width="197" caption="The summer of 2003."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_233" align="alignright" width="197" caption="The summer of 2009."][/caption]

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  
 

  

So maybe I do look older than I did at 21, but I still say I could get carded regarding the "under 35" rule, at least for a few more years.  I suppose some of it has to do with Graham and the fact that any sane waitress or grocery checker would assume I'm at least 21... because on one who's 21 would take a kid as crazy as mine out in public  :)  Oh well, being young was nice while it lasted.  Here's to moving on to our thirties and all that lies ahead! 

3 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad, I never get carded either. I mean, at the grocery store I do, only because they have to type in a birthday. But never at a restaurant. I remember the first dinner I had with my mom after I turned 21. I ordered wine and the waitress ID'd me. My mom turned a looked at her and said "If you don't ID me too, you can forget your tip." I think about that almost every time I order a beer and don't get carded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a waiter for many years, it can be uncomfortable carding someone. Its as though you're saying, "I'm not sure that I think you should be drinking tonight miss." Also, in that rare exception, that you forget your wallet and ID, you really won't be drinking if you get carded and can't supply an ID. Who wants to be a buzzkill? Not me. It wasn't until they started cracking down a bit and adding fines for places that don't ID, that people started to take it seriously. I think you should test you're Graham theory and buy a drink on you're own from the co-op or Hy-Vee and see what happens. I am 99% you will get carded. I think kids and responsibility make us seem older than we are. Also, if you're handling you're child well, you are probably that much more responsible, ie "older". I see irresponsible parents all the time get carded. As though the clerk is saying, "did you have that little boy while in high school, honey?" Anyway, I think its equally as hard to card as to be or not-be carded. And even if you don't get carded, guess what, "you're probably drinking!" Win-Win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose you are right. I haven't had to card anyone since I was like 17, and at that point everyone looks old, so I just carded everyone to be on the safe side :) You are right though, no one wants to be that buzz kill if they don't have their ID. I really do think it is the kid thing, b/c I have gotten carded when no out with Graham... although that might have been the door guy's job, but either way it made me feel good!
    I also think it has a lot to do with living in Iowa City where the mean age is what 25 or something crazy? I always get carded in Chicago, Kansas City or other big cities, so maybe I'm just "old" for this town :)

    ReplyDelete