Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eating Ourselves Out of House and Home... Literally

You know how even when you make a list, and actually remember to bring it to the grocery store, you always seem to come home with just a couple extra items.  Stuff that was on sale or the infamous 'I wonder if we have a box of _____?' only to find out you had 2 already in the cupboard.  Well this is our house to a T.  We had a fridge, cupboard and 2 freezers chalked full of food, yet somehow I still managed to find plenty more to buy at the store each week. 

Inspired by a blog my friend Leah wrote a while back on eating everything in your house, I decided to make September my month to give it a whirl.  My goal is to eat every frozen meal, every box of rice and every random thing in the cupboard during the month of September, only going to the store to buy perishables.  So far we have been doing well, no trips to the store... well except for milk and I caved and bought ice cream  :(  But it is only September 9th and we are already down to some pretty questionable combos. 

I think the main issue is I am stuck in my little box of what does and does not go together.  Like spaghetti and garlic bread... so if you don't have garlic bread, what do you make?  And burgers with baked beans, no beans, then what?  Looks like I am going to have to get creative because we have 21 days to go and lots of odds and ends to eat  :)  Here's to thinking outside the box... and of course planning out meals ahead of time, should be an interesting month!

2 comments:

  1. Everything goes with salad, and it's a perishable so you can buy it! I did the same thing last year when our tax bill was considerably larger than expected. I saved a ton in the short run by eating what we'd paid for in the past. My problem was more that we had tons of "sides" but not enough main courses. So we'd have rice and instant potatoes and pasta salad left. I had to break down and buy protein to go with all our sides. I did make some "interesting" casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!! so excited to make it into your blog! :) 9 days is great- way to go! i did end up buying things throughout the month but i tried to double things to make them go further. plus, it is fun to see how much you can save at the end of the month! :)

    ReplyDelete