Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thank God for Leah

My hands are still trembling making this post quite hard to type, but I going to continue in honor of Leah and her selfless courage.  I met some moms at the Coralville Park for a playdate and picnic lunch this afternoon. We thought what better way to celebrate the first truly nice day of spring than with a picnic?  Apparently this was every other moms thought as well because the park was packed.  We were all just sort of getting there, trying to say hi and chit chat while keeping an eye on our kids running like mad through the playground.  I went to check on Graham, who is now completely obsessed with going down the big, "twisty" slide, when I saw Leah frantically asking other moms about a little boy in a yellow t-shirt.  As I looked over to where she was pointing I saw this little boy running full speed straight for the duck pond.  My heart just stopped.... surely he will stop.... surely his mom will scream his name and he will turn around... but nothing happened, he just kept running. 

Without a thought Leah kicked off her sandals and began sprinting down the hill after the little boy.  I was still frozen, but I managed to yell "does anyone have a little boy in a yellow t-shirt" and the elderly daycare lady (or maybe his grandma) I had seen walking down the street with 5 kids popped her head out from behind the slide.  I turned around just in time to see the little boys head disappear down the slope into the water.  I panicked and began running as fast as a could after Leah. 

I have no idea what thoughts were running through Leah's head at the time, but she never hesitated, she jumped right into the water and grabbed that little boy who was flailing face down in the water.  I got to the edge as she pulled him up sputtering and screaming bloody murder.  Leah was standing in thigh deep water, that little boy would never have had a chance.  I pulled him out and another mom and I stripped his soaking wet and freezing cloths off as the elderly lady finally arrived.  I expected her to give him a huge hug and be in tears of joy and thanks... but no, she kind of yelled at him.  Told him he was bad for running away and to stop crying for his mommy.  Really?  This little boy was still in diapers, he's terrified and freezing and doesn't know any of the rest of us from a hill of beans and you scold him.  I get what he did was wrong, but really, he couldn't have been more than two.

I just keep playing the scene over and over in my mind and thanking God that he is alright.  What if Leah hadn't seen the little boy running, what if she hadn't gone after him... I can't even imagine the outcome.  That's somebody's baby boy and Leah saved his life today.  I am so proud and honored to be Leah's friend.  Her selfless courage, her natural 'mom' instincts, and just her God given willingness to help others has me in tears.  If Leah was not at the park today... I can't even finish.  Thank you Leah for being an amazing mom, and amazing friend and an amazing woman!  God truly shows us his power through the actions of others. 

I had tears in my eyes the whole way home from the park as I looked in the rear view mirror at Graham sleeping so peacefully in his car seat.  I could hardly put him in his bed when we got home, I just wanted to hold him forever.  Thank you God for always watching over my family and keeping them safe.  And thank you for giving me such wonderful friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment