Friday, May 7, 2010

Moley, Moley, Moley!

I come from a family of people with moles... sounds bad, but it's just a fact.  People in my family tend to have lots of moles, no problems with them, just lots.  I used to have my moles checked regularly when I was in high school simply because I was already seeing a dermatologist for my acne, why not have her check them while I was there.  Nothing was ever found and as my acne got better with age, I never really thought much about getting my moles checked.  Until last week...

I hadn't taken a bodypump class in a while, and I was clearly struggling, when this young girl tapped me on the shoulder.  Of course I assumed she was just checking on me to make sure I wasn't going to keel over, but she said she was a nurse at the dermatology office and, while she wasn't a Dr, she had seen enough moles to be concerned about the one on the back of my left calf.  I didn't even know I had one there... how long was it there?... was it that weird that it was jumping out at people?  Yikes!  So I made an appointment for yesterday afternoon. 

I walked into the clinic having a 30 min window before I had to leave to go pick up Graham from preschool, it was the earliest Thursday appointment they make.  I thought for sure they would give me the once over, write some notes down and if anything looked fishy they'd have me return for biopsies.  Not this clinic, man, they are all the freakin' ball!  The Dr, sweetest woman ever by the way, looked at all my moles and decided two, the one on my calf (thank you nice girl at the gym) and one on my back had to come off.  So she gets the nurse, they stick a bunch of novocaine in me and bam, I walk out with two button sized holes sown up with six stitches.  All in a matter of 25 mins.  I think I was still in shock when I got in the car.  Here I have 2 wounds big enough to need 3 stitches each and I am back in my car in like 20 mins, what just happened?

So my moles are being shipped off for testing, (should know in about a week, so let's hope for NO news being good news) and I now have 2 less moles to worry about.  Don't you wish all Drs were that decisive and action oriented!

2 comments:

  1. That's insane! Glad you had them looked over and that they were so quick about it. Here's to no news being good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amommaonamissionMay 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

    That is amazing how fast they took care of those! I would be in shock as well!

    ReplyDelete